Thursday, July 1, 2010

Some WCW 1996 PRO!

Ah, WCW B-Shows, my favorite type of wrestling. I'm a fan of any b-show really, which gives us odd matches, sometimes longer matches, odd appearances, and fun commentary. WCW was king of these types of programs, seeming to have 25 different B and C shows during the 1990's

Right now I am going through my 1996 WCW Pro set, so let's see what we have here as I make my way through the year.

3-9-96

Sting vs Barbarian: Fun little match, always enjoy Barb on offense. I wasn't paying as much attention as I was writing the intro for this blog while it was going on. A five minute a affair, I think there was a powerbomb by Barbarian, I must re-watch this at some

3-16-96

Dave Sullivan vs Fit Finley: Oh wow, this might be the best Dave Sullivan match ever. He hits a sweet big boot, drills Fit with a clothesline. Finley is in the early stages of his big American run with Regal, and was doing solid hurty matches on the B shows with guys like Brad Armstrong. This is three and a half minutes, Dave misses a corner charge like he's 1988 Ken Patera, and fit wrenches the shoulder with a Fujiwara armbar for the win. There was also senton by Fit earlier, so this is fun! Best Evad ever...it doesn't take much.

Brad Armstrong vs Ric Flair: This probably happened a half decade earlier and was awesome, I don't know. But here it is in 1996 and I have no problem with that. Brad gets a huge flurry earlier, Flair flips over the buckle, get caught on the way down, and takes the Russian Leg Sweet for a near fall. Brad has great punches fighting out of the corner. Match is mostly Brad taking the offense, Flair trying to get ahead but getting put down by multiple punches and backdrops, almost to the point of repetition. Very little leg work, and once the Flair spots are run through, Brad misses a dropkick off the top (the flat back bump kind, which is fun to see) and Flair hooks on a rope assisted figure four for the win. With 10 more minutes, it would have been really good, as is, it's a very cliff notes Flair match. Looking forward to the eventual Flair-Hardwork Bobby Walker match that I know is here somewhere

3-23-96
Hulk Hogan vs Meng:

The rare Hogan appearance. Nothing drives me crazier than one of those Hogan matches where he just chokes and bites...then chin locks. Meng comes back with a back rake, and choking. Was hoping for a more fiery brawl, but I really should know better. Hogan bites the leg to counter a pile driver, then bites the neck. Ax Bomber!!!! Elbows!! The choking and biting continues for a while, and at least no one is in control for a long period of time. Just as I say that, we hit the nerve hold. Meng its a big superkick and Hogan hulks up to avoid an elbow, nice to see a variation. Big boot follows and Savage tosses him a chair, bringing out most of the Dungeon of Doom! We are deep into the build up to the Uncensored Cage of Doom build up. Kinda fun, could have been more, but an odd sight.

Ric Flair vs Mark Star: The Flair Pro Tour continues! Star's early offense is short lived, and mostly a headlock and a few roll ups. I keep looking at the elevated Pro stage and wondering why I never heard of anyone getting hurt from it. Match feels like the end of a longer Flair match as Star's comeback offense is a small package and backslide. Flair taking backdrops even in 1996 is scary. Finish is similar to the last one, just Mark misses a second rope knee drop, and the figure four finishes. Interesting to watch different lower card guys fit into Flair match, not a bad way to see who's good and who is a lower card guy for a reason.

And we're out for now, I can't wait to watch more than this

No comments: